On August 25, a discussion between ENGINE partners and Latvian Heat, gas and water technology engineers union expert Osvalds Tautietis took place to share experience and emphasize the meaning of civil engineers certification on industry development.
Within the framework of the discussion establishment of certification system in Latvia, its significance for the engineering industry and legal basis of included processes; the first steps of formation, formation of a team of experts, acknowledging the specifics of the industry; the role of associations in taking over certification functions from the state; the procedure for controlling the competence of a working specialist and the importance of practice in the certification process – why practical experience on the construction site is more important than theoretical experience; a continuous process of professional development of specialists, how to promote the professional development of engineers and other topics were discussed.
The discussion between an experienced and competent industry representative and association leaders provided important insights, including:
- certification of engineers is a way of transferring responsibility for the quality of construction from the state civil service to professionals;
- a certificate is a proof of the qualification of the company’s experts and is awarded to on-site engineers who are involved in the actual work processes, not to the company’s managers;
- Qualified experts and engineers are the key to the company’s success;
- Nowadays, construction is often simpler than further installation of various electronic solutions (ventilation, conditioning, etc.), so it is important not only to improve the quality of construction, but also to install all engineering systems;
- A team of experts formed in associations is important for certification – they are specialists in the field with long-term practical experience, not only theoretical knowledge.
We invite you to take the opportunity to explore the topic of engineering certification in depth by participating in the next 6 sessions, which will be led by leading industry experts. It will be a great opportunity to learn how the regulation of civil engineering and the certification of engineers can contribute to the development of the water sector in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.